Friday, August 04, 2006

Top Five

Walking home from work the other day, I picked up the latest L Magazine and came across this gem of an article.

Everyone loves stereotyping areas of NYC ad nauseum, including me. So grab your book of cliches and hop on board for the ride. Okay, that was lame..


Map About Town
Five NYC Clichés...
...and What They Really Think





They say every cliché is grounded in reality. Granted, there is truth in this, but most of the time it’s just an excuse to make fun of people you don’t really understand. Well, in an effort to redress some wrongs, we offer you five NYC clichés and what they’re really thinking (which may or not redress any actual wrongs).

1. Midwestern Tourist
“Look, I’ve always wanted to move to New York and become a writer or work in a gallery, but various circumstances never allowed it to happen. So what if I got a good deal on a hotel in Midtown? So what if I find shorts comfortable? Why are you so obsessed with appearances, anyway? Have you ever seen pictures of William Gass? Whatever, I’m on my way to BAM.”

2. The Trust-Fund Hipster

“Am I to blame for the fortunes of my parents? I may dress like a malnourished nine year old, and my attempts at “art” may seem amateurish and derivative… but at least I’m trying to add a little beauty to the world!”

3. The Wall Street Trader

“I firmly believe that free-market economies are the best way to address the iniquity between First and Third World standards of living. Granted, globalization unchecked can ruin a country, but that’s why I’m here, to check it. What are you doing about it?”

4. The Bridge and Tunnel Kid

“I have one of the finest collections of Civil Rights memorabilia in the Tri-State Area. Sure, I like to party, but the world’s not just about getting action.”

5. The Model

“I have a PhD from the University of Bratislava, with a specialization in non-Euclidean geometry. Fuck you.”