Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Floyd Fights


Last year's bittersweet reunion at Live 8 was not enough to bring the British all stars back to the music scene. You can't just throw away ego problems that have proliferated throughout the band's heyday. But it's almost better that way. Neil Young was right when he said that "it's better to burn out than to fade away." I think the Stones should heed his advice.

David Gilmour's first solo effort in more than 10 years is due on March 6.
"I do really think it is about as good a piece of work as I have ever done," Gilmour tells Billboard, adding, "It felt to me that this album should be me and not Pink Floyd this time. It's just a slightly different way of working. I worked from home on my own [without] having to be involved in the rather large machinery that is the Pink Floyd thing." And while Pink Floyd played stadiums on its final 1994 tour, Gilmour is constraining himself to theaters and mid-size venues this time. "I don't owe people anything," he says. "If people would like to come to my concerts I'd love them to come. And if they like the music that I make, I love that too. But I do not make music for other people. I make it to please myself." Gilmour confirms Pink Floyd "were offered a lot of money to go on tour" after Live 8, with or without founding member Roger Waters, with whom Gilmour has incessantly feuded since the mid 1980s.

(via Billboard)