Thursday, June 29, 2006

Petty

Regardless of how cheesy you think he is, Tom Petty is the man. His music is so simple it's great. Here, Petty explains how will not pursue legal action against the Chilis for blatantly stealing his early-Nineties gem, "Mary Jane's Last Dance". Instead, he admits in so many words that all rock music is derivative. Everyone steals from everyone else. That's how rock n roll was founded in the first place; white guys stealing black music.

"The truth is, I seriously doubt that there is any negative intent there. And a lot of Rock & Roll songs sound alike. Ask Chuck Berry. The Strokes took “American Girl” [for their song “Last Nite”], and I saw an interview with them where they actually admitted it. That made me laugh out loud. I was like, 'OK, good for you.' It doesn’t bother me."